Woodland Hills, Los Angeles, California
FPGA digital design in Verilog, complex high-bandwidth fixed point filters, timing closure,
simulation and validation
Red Digital Cinema, Thousand Oaks, California
— November 2014–present
Senior Principal, Digital Design
- Digital filters for Xilinx Kintex, Virtex and Zynq Ultrascale and Ultrascale+ based platforms.
Panavision, Woodland Hills, California
— January 2011–October 2014
Senior Engineer — Digital Design
- Design and implementation of 8K (7680x3240)
60fps CMOS sensor correction logic.
- Xilinx Virtex-6 platform.
- Line fixed-pattern noise (LFPN) correction.
- Flat-field pixel offset and response calibration and correction.
- Pixel defect replacement with dynamic calibration.
- Programmable 11x11 filter resampling/decimation logic.
- Custom Xilinx GTX interface supporting 3.9Gbps per channel.
- Multi-channel DDR3 512 bit interface to Virtex-6.
- UHD 4:4:4 output to HDMI 1.4a equipment.
- SMPTE 12M Linear Timecode detection, generation.
- Microcontroller programming: Atmel, PowerPC, Microblaze.
AltaSens, Westlake Village, California
— January 2008–January 2011
- HD video processing pipeline development: FPGA (Xilinx) Verilog for defect pixel correction,
demosaic (Bayer pattern interpolation), black level subtract, color correction, HSL modification, gamma correction, DVI formatting. C code for AWB, AE, etc.
- Sensor yield analysis: Verilog and embedded C for near-realtime noise, defect, etc data acquisition.
- CMOS DSLR, HD and Digital Cinema sensor: fully automated randomized RTL and gate-level algorithm verification.
Micron Technology, Pasadena, California
— August 2006–December 2007
Team Lead — Applications Engineering
Managed Applications Engineering team charged with supporting Micron's CMOS imaging products.
Researched and documented requirements for CMOS image sensor and companion chip products.
Authored, revised and reviewed datasheets, die datasheets, technical
notes and other end-user documentation for CMOS imager and SoC products.
(formerly Sierra Imaging,
then Pictos Technologies
Scotts Valley, California; Melbourne, Australia
— August 1996–August 2006
SoC and Image Processing ASIC Development
Digital Still Camera Firmware Development
Established ASIC development simulation test environment integrated with firmware development environment.
Image processing ASIC verification for Raptor, Raptor II, and Raptor III products.
Authored table driven assembler for custom DSP and processing blocks within each ASIC.
Designed, implemented and documented digital camera control firmware.
Hardware drivers for lens stepper motors; non-volatile
memory devices; NTSC, PAL and LCD display devices; CDS chips; etc.
Designed and implemented high-speed autofocus algorithm.
Ported open source MP3 codec to embedded environment.
Anyware Fast, San Jose, California
— May 1995–August 1996
Wrote SCO compatible X server drivers and configuration files for PCI
graphics adapters using Cirrus GD5436 and GD5446 video chips.
Ported 3D video game from 3DO to Sony Playstation (MIPS R3000) using
Sony's Playstation 1 development platform.
Ported Sun's XIL imaging library for C++ and C to HP/UX.
Sun Microsystems, Mountain View,
California — February 1994–April 1995
Coordinated Intel x86 issues for XGL (SunSoft's 3D graphics library).
Integrated and qualified third-party developed 3D graphics drivers
Compiled performance and quality numbers for XGL on x86 platforms.
Device driver work for the Sun CG6 3D graphics adapter.
The Santa Cruz Operation, Santa Cruz, California
— July 1989–February
HCR (Human Computing Resources), Toronto, Canada
— November 1987–May 1989
Ported Oracle's V5.1 RDBMS, V6.0 RDBMS and associated utilities from 32 bit Unix environment
to Control Data Corporation Cyber 180 64 bit architecture.
Languages: Verilog, C, bash scripting
Tools: Vivado, Chipscope, git, Subversion, Emacs Verilog-mode
Operating Systems: Fedora, Ubuntu, Cygwin/Windows
Other: Xilinx Ultrascale+, Ultrascale, Kintex-7, AXI4, SMPTE ST 2082
BSc (Hons) Computer Science, La Trobe University, Melbourne, Australia, 1988.
Australia, United States